Sunday, September 7, 2014

Inside MEO's CN app

In a CNHQ&BMHQS "exclusive", we bring you what lies within the CN app MEO has.
NOTE: All photos seen here are not of the best quality. They were all taken at my aunt's house (she has MEO) and taken on an old TV in the kitchen (the only part of her house that has MEO), so I profusely apologize for the quality. Also for the reflections of whoever was at the kitchen at the time I took these photos and also for the reflection of the window.
A few months ago, Luke Bevan gave us a tour of the CN app on his Virgin Media TiVo decoder (which will probably be posted on regularcapital.com) and, months later, I decided to do something similar.
I took those photos earlier today and I felt shocked, you'll see.
This isn't related to Cartoon Network but appears on the app menu. At a distance it looks like Jake's face but it's just board game figures, the one on the middle being smaller than the other two.
Off to the MEO Kids app, a collection of apps that can be accessed within the interactive menu. When accessed, you get to see SIC K on the corner of the screen.
Anyway, things are getting more CN-ish this time. Wait, what's this? Fanart on the bottom of the screen?
Yes, it is fanart! See what I mean? What? Why can I see characters like Raj, the titular XLR from Megas XLR, Bloo, Coco, Cheese, Courage, Ed and Jake Spidermonkey, when the CN HQ to PT switch offered us limited choice and we can no longer watch certain old CN shows and we're very far behind?
You can see it in full here. That is a bit more symbolic than it actually is: that really is the first picture you find on a Google image search. I think they were all like "this one, this one!" and "this one" it was. If I was Rita Salema, I was "TÃO FELIZ TÃO FELIZ TÃO FELIZ TÃO FELIZ TÁO FELIZ TÃO FELIZ TÃO FELIZ" that instead of linking me into an app with episodes, it linked me into a CN HQ app.
And I have to blame PT for that: a company owned by the Portuguese state (I think) using CN fanart is a sign that most Portuguese people have suffered from CN memory loss symptoms.
Things are getting weirder and weirder as we progress.
And here's the AT icon, which leads you to the AT section of it. What really annoys me is the fact that it says "HORA DE AVENTURA" and we get the title from out neighbors ("HORA DE AVENTURAS") instead, so enjoy your awful dubs by pretending that you're watching it in Brazilian Portuguese.
This is when things get overcomplicated. Was this a result of a one-minute Google Images search for "Billy and Mandy"? Hang on a second, I'll do it.
Took me at least one minute but here it is:

And I feel very grateful at DA user Danielly for inexplicably using his art without permission.
And I finally found that artwork Nova Gente used once:

And I feel very grateful at DA user TheStinkyFoot for inexplicably using his art without permission.
And that was probably a first in CN terms. Putting DA fanart on a magazine read by tons of people wasn't a nice thing to do.
Off to the CN app, where you can see seven shows at present: Steven Universe, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Uncle Grandpa, Adventure Time, The Amazing World of Gumball, Johnny Test and Ben 10: Omniverse. Note the AF-era Ben.
And here's what happens when you watch an episode.
And here's the episode on an actual television. Notice that the screen is 4:3 and that the previous Eastern European CN bug is used. That gave us expectations that CN PT was about to be like this app.
And here's a perfectly-timed screenshot.
16:9 shows are the same, except that the bug is a bit "cleaner". The bug appears in the first few seconds of the video and disappears in the last few.
Let's end with another perfectly-timed, nonsensical screenshot.
In final words, the app is better than CN PT itself but looks like a cross-breed between CN PT, CN HQ and Eastern European version.
Ákos will probably like it.

2 comments:

  1. I think CNPT Needs new mangament if fans assums that an APP is better than the actuall channel :P
    Thx for the article

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fine if CN PT was CN HQ with a Portuguese audio track, but that's impossible.
      CN PT isn't that good, when I watch it in English it feels like I'm watching the CN of a country where everyone speaks in English but sometims writes in Portuguese.

      Delete